Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Aren't podcasts like the radio from long ago?

My instructor suggested using a podcast for my learning module, especially since my students are 2nd graders. I have only ever created one podcast in my life so I wasn't exactly keen on creating another one. Mind you, not that making one was all the difficult; it wasn't, but how you express what you say is. I found a wonderful story to use for a podcast for my learning module but then I thought, "now why would a bunch of 7 and 8 year olds really listen to the podcast?" They wouldn't, if it was boring.

This got me thinking about the days before television when all they had was the radio. People had to use their imaginations as they listened to the story or live broadcast. Even back then people would not have listened if the show was lifeless and dull to listen too. We have visual senses and if we cannot physically see what is occurring, then we must "see" with our minds.The same is even more true today. With all the technology children experience, even at very young ages, this is a greater challenge when creating podcasts for our youth.

Now I am not an experienced teacher, or even a podcast creator, but of the seven children that have lived in my house, currently I have three who are four and younger, so I do know that motivating children takes a lot of work. But I also know children are easier to please, and that a genuine interest in the children's welfare during the podcast will be expressed and received by the kids. I plan to add animals sounds (as the story takes place on a farm), speak the narrative just right, as I would if reading to them in person. What started out as not a pleasant task of podcast creating has turned into one of the elements I am most excited to create!

Just to share, here is a list of children's podcast from iTunes. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment