Friday, November 7, 2014

Fyrebox-Game and quiz tool

Adding some quizzes and games to my learning module is the last thing on my list to do. I decided to wait until everything else was finalized to make sure the children are acquiring all the material that is needed for a successful completion of the learning modules. When brainstorming what types of quizzes and games to use as well as the material I wanted to include, I realized I needed a tool which could create these, yet simple and fun enough for 2nd graders to remain focused and interested. 

Fyrebox is a game and quiz tool which was exactly what I needed for the students' learning modules. They offer eight templates which you can modify to suit your need or you can create a custom quiz or game. The color schemes are simple yet not boring and Fyrebox provides useful data, such as; how many times the test or game was taken/played, profiles, and statistics. These basic functions are available when you sign up with a free account. Of course you can upgrade to have even more features, but they offered what I needed. 

Learning modules need to be fun and inspirational to children when learning new information; especially the type that they will learn in my course. I have never been one to condone video games, especially in learning, but with such technology savvy children these days, the use of games in learning are inevitable. I have come to realize that there are "mindless" games but that isn't what we want for our students. Learning is fun, we just all learn differently and find interest in different subjects. Hopefully technology, including games, will provide students with more appropriate placement of knowledge and a greater aptitude for applying the learned material. 

No comments:

Post a Comment