Saturday, September 6, 2014

Why I love eLearning

I am a perpetual student; I graduated 20 years ago from high school, and I am still in school. But this time it is different. This time I choose it. I am an online learner and I am proud of it. I used to think that online schools were for those who couldn't make it in the "real" schools. Try juggling school with a career and a family and then we'll see who can and can't make it.  I earned my MBA online, but it wasn't until I started my ILT program at University of Colorado that I came to an appreciation of just how powerful online education really is. But online learning is so much more than a balancing act; it's an experience. 

What I have learned in my courses thus far is that the design of an online course has the greatest impact. I experienced this during my MBA courses, only I did not connect the course material with the design of the courseroom at the time. I didn't think about it the way I do now. In fact, once a learner starts thinking of instructional design models; such as ADDIE, it's hard to stop. 

My husband thinks I have an addiction to synchronous and asynchronous tools. My "addiction" sure came in handy when I taught him how to use Adobe Connect, Skype, and Google Hangouts. After all, my kids didn't mind when I created fun games/stories for them with Adobe Captive, or Prezi, or GoAnimate. I just laugh and go right back to uploading a video of the kids on FB, Google+ and our family's website. 

Just think, this is only my 5th course in the ILT program so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment